buildingSMART UK & Ireland develop and contribute to the work being undertaken by the buildingSMART Standards Committee:
Links to all of the Standards, Tools and Services that buildingSMART can aided in the development of can be found here.
These standards have led to the development of a number of products including:
- Industry Foundation Class (IFC)
- Information Delivery Manuals (IDM)
- buildingSMART Data Dictionary (bSDD / IFD)
- Model View Definition (MVD)
These developments are done through a series of rooms and groups which are outlined below.
Rooms are open groups of people and organizations focusing on a specific domain or context. buildingSMART UK & Ireland contribute to the following rooms:
- Guidelines Working Group
- COBie Group
- IFC for Roads Group*
- IFC for Bridges Group*
- Asset Management Requirement Definition Study Group*
- Integration of Spatial and Built Environment data Group*
- bSDD Working Group
- Dictionaries Technical Support Group
- Product Templates & BIM Objects Group*
- Model Support Group
- Implementation Support Group
- Technical Advisory Group
- Linked Building Data Group*
- Augmented Reality Group*
- Individual Certification Working Group
- Automated Code Checking Group*
- e-submission Guidelines Group*
*Working groups currently being formed
Groups are created by rooms and are formed to address a specific issue or requirement. Groups are include above under each of their respected rooms. These rooms are then further subdivided into two categories. Support Groups which deliver support, know-how and advice, and Working Groups which aim to produce a deliverable as a solution to the issue or requirement they are addressing.
buildingSMART manages a software compliance programme, with others currently under development.